Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

All-around welding symbol

Status
Not open for further replies.

holdpt

Structural
Oct 10, 2011
US
I have reviewed the results of a search on this topic, but really did not see this situation addressed. Does the symbol imply that the top side of the top flange of "B" also gets welded to the right flange of "A"? In my opinion, it should not get because it is not a fillet weld.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IMO, it's insufficiently/incorrectly detailed. An all around symbol would indicate welding of the topside of the flange, but as you've mentioned, it wouldn't be a fillet weld, but either a square groove or some other sort of detailed prep.

The weld symbol is incorrectly provided on the joint detail. IMO is correct, the joint detail would turn to a square-groove or other groove joint detail on the top side. The design engineer can issue a revision to the drawing if desired to correct the misinterpretation of the symbol. You could also reference AWS A3.0: Standard welding terms and definitions which would have a great detail to the reference of the symbol.

Symbol is ok for all round weld on beam B except fillet size projection should have been made on top(B should be less by fillet size from top face of A)
Pandithan

The welding symbol is incorrect for the connection as shown in your attached sketch.

It is not unusual to see a drawing with incorrect welding symbols. It causes welders to stop production to get clarification of the detailer's intent.

I typically back charge the detailer for the time lost due to incorrect welding symbols. The detailer/engineer has an obligation to use the correct welding symbol, after all they are suppose to be professionals. If the drawing is incorrect, production and safety of the customer and public is at risk. The welder/fabricator should always ask the designer what is actually required when the welding symbol is not clear or because it is simply wrong. If the welder forges ahead and welds it the way he thinks it should be welded, he is making a grievous error. Rarely do two wrongs make the situation better.

What is the saying about making an "assumption"?

Best regards - Al

Thanks gentlemen. I got burned on an all around a few months back because everyone here, myself included, interpreted the symbol as meaning to only weld all around on the arrow side because the info was below the hor. reference line. Seeing it in A2.4 we discovered we were wrong, that the other side should have been welded as well. At any rate, I am a little tender regarding the circle on the elbow of the symbols.
By the way, this was not a detail error. It was called out on the design so we will inquire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back