Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Allen Bradley RS500 software driver problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecca

Electrical
Aug 13, 2003
GB
I cannot connect with a Micrologix1000 using the RS500 software, I can't find a driver that works.
I can connect using the antiquated Dos Micro software.
Can anyone help regarding a correct driver ?
Cheers
Ecca

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to have RsLinx Lite installed (comes with RsLogix 500). In RsLinx, configure the driver as Admiralken suggested. Within the driver select Device as SLC/micro. There is then an autoconfigure button to set the port parameters.
You will need the serial cable (special) to connect you computer to the serial port on the PLC.

Use cable # 1761-cbl-pm02. Either use a null modem adapter out of your com port or a 1747-UIC (USB to DH485 converter)from AB. It connects exactly like an 5/03 SLC. The 1747-UIC is cheap and works great.

Is the required cable different to the one used for the DOs software ?
I can connect OK with the old DOS software.
Cheers
for replies.
ET

Yes it is pined out for micrologix processors. For micrologix 1000 you will need your null modem adapter. For the 1100 1200 ecc.. there is no need for the adapter.

It is the same cable as DOS.
The programming cable is already NULL modem, so no adapters are reuired.
The cable is good for ALL micrologix range 1000, 1100, 1200 and 1500.

It is best to configure RSLinx as described previously before trying to connect with RSLogix.
Your PLC should appear in the "RSWho" window under the DF1 driver.

If the port configuration has been modified, it may be dissicult to connect without knowing the exact configuration. Examples are "DF1 Master/Slave", or DH485.
Some processors such as 1500 have a reset button to reset coms port to default, so you can connect using the DF1 driver.

The DH485 may not work on many computers, especially if you are using a USB serial adapter.

I have been having a similer problem latly using my on board com port to connect with micrologix and SLC controllers. I got a "port conflict" in linx when I try to configure the driver. I went to the Device Manager in windows and manually changed the driver from AB pic to a standard comm driver and the conflict was gone. Try that and see if it works. Doing it automatically dose not work. Windows will find no problems with the current driver.

if you are using win xp then
go
Step 1
Start>>Run>>Regedit>>Hkey_Local_Machine>>Software>>RockwellSoftware>>Rslinx>>Drivers and right click and delete the pic and the df1

Step 2
Only do step 2 if using win xp otherwise you will need the driver for your serial port that came with its cd. Other OS step 1 should work.

then go to device mgr>>ports>>com1 right click and uninstall, then reboot and reconfigure driver in linx

Port conflict is caused by having two serial drivers configured and running in linx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back