Allowable deflection of pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redpipe

Mechanical
Sep 17, 2002
TH
HI guys,

Anyone know how to consider allowable deflection of pipe? As I found, it seemed each engineering company have difference value of allowable deflection of pipe for design.

Thanks,

Dave

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What kind of pipe? What kind of coating and/or lining, if applicable? What kind of deflection (e.g. deflection of the pipe/cross-section as an ovalling ring, or deflection of a length of piping e.g. between supports as a beam etc.)? [Once you provide suitable defining details someone may be able to help you.]

If you just want it to get allowable pipe spans, look at the TOOLS section, sub-section PIPING of for an excel sheet of allowable pipe spans.

pipingdesigner
pipingdesigners%20logo.gif

In the power piping industry, 0.1" maximum deadweight deflection at 1500 psi per code sustained stress equation is commonly used for water-filled pipe.

Norm

Oilfield industry uses deflections consistent with a safety factor of 1.5 to 2.0, given the pipe geometry and understanding of material mechancial properties.

I typically work through the mechanics under full bore load (i.e. maximum pressure testing @ 1.5 MOP) and add the external loads as boundry conditions to the supports.

You can also get similar equations from API reference material. Try pipe supplier websites, they do provide spreadsheet services on the various API equations.

Kenneth J Hueston, PEng
Principal
Sturni-Hueston Engineering Inc
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back