Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Allowable Stress of Decking / Boards (5/4 Cedar STK in this case)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yudkib

Structural
Apr 29, 2012
US
Hi all, strange thing I think I have figured out but am trying to decide conclusively.

I'm working with a client who is replacing their above-grade deck. The decking will be 5/4x6 STK western red cedar with a 16" spacing of PT Pine joists. They also want to do a custom handrail / guard detail in the same material. OK. From the way things seem, I suspect the town will want some backup on the detailing.

So the question I have is: what's the allowable bending stress for 5/4 x 6 STK western red cedar?

I'm not sure the guidance exists. Some observations:
- STK is an architectural designation, it is not a structural designation. When I talk to the distributors they basically say "ask WRCLA."
- WRCLA has a guide, and they say for 5/4x6 STK use a 16" spacing of joists. No engineering data for boards. OK.
- NDS only publishes for 2" nominal and thicker in the supplement (700-725psi for #2/#1). WRCLA just references the same NDS values.
- NDS does have an area for decking, but again, it's 2" and thicker. It seems to more or less be the product of Fb, the size factor, and the flat use factor - coming out to 1050psi. There is still no clarification on whether this applies to STK, just "commercial grade" decking.
- The grading guides have at least some information on what passes as "commercial grade" - and the STK probably would.
- Back to NDS - the only thing I've seen referencing the allowable stress of boards was at the end of table 4A, which basically said "you can probably use these stresses for boards." But there is no note in the decking table.
- By most indications (looking at pictures on the internet), STK seems to be mixed #1/#2 grade.

So my plan is use the 700psi for #2 cedar lumber 2"-4" thick with the flat use and size factors and see where I end up.
But now out of curiosity - does anyone know who governs the allowable stress of boards under 2" thick?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I cannot recommend a bending stress, but from using the material in the past, I would never go beyond a 16" spacing for deflection reasons.

Mike McCann, PE, SE (WA)

I'd call WRCLA...not just browse their site. The job of these associations is to help their member mills sell product. It is in their interest to help you specify their product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back