Not open for further replies.

Krishnnaa26

Materials
Sep 1, 2021
IN
thread338-310345

Dear All,

I have come across the following paper

"Environment-Assisted Cracking of Corrosion-Resistant Alloys in Oil and Gas Production Environments: A Review by P.R. Rhodes"

There are two figures in the above papers (attached) Figure 23 and Figure 24 indicating the effect of Alloy composition on SCC resistance.
Both Figure 23 and Figure 24 providing the info on SCC resistance (Ni+2%Mo+0.5%Cr) w.r.t temperature, however the testing conditions are different.
Figure_23_fvob5u.jpg

Figure_24_gsiknj.jpg

Considering the typical composition of Alloy 825 and the PREN

1) Can an Alloy 825 solid pipe be used at >120°C, w.r.t to Figure 23 and Figure 24, assuming the same set of test conditions?
2) If an increase in H2S and/or chlorides is considered, do the line in Figure 23 further drops resulting in lower than 150°C SCC limit?
3) If an increase in H2S and/or chlorides is considered, do the line in Figure 24 shifts to right resulting in non-acceptance (potential SCC) of Solid Alloy 825 pipe at >120°C.

Any technical papers/literature references greatly appreciated on this topic.

Thanks in advance

Krishna

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I like the fig 23 test conditions better. Including S is usually a wise move for testing.
Though neither one talks about what stress was applied or how it was applied or the duration of the test.
In general for SCC and similar environmental cracking mechanisms the change of chemistry (H2S or Cl in this case) is usually minor.
It often takes a change of >50% to be highly noticeable.
However any change in temperature or pH is huge as these have a geometric impact.
You need to get copies of these two original papers and read all of the details about this testing.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Dear Ed

Thank you for your quick response.

Fortunately, the referred paper in Figure 23 is available, but I could not understand the basis for the curve in Figure 23.
As per my understanding any increase in H2S content (partial pressure) would push the lower limit of Alloy 825 to less than 150°C.
The noticeable point is that Figure 23 is with S presence and Figure 24 is without S presence, but both figures are indicating roughly 150°C limit for Alloy 825.
I am confused a bit on the limits indicted in Table A.14 of ISO 15156-3 with reference to the Figures in the paper. Any idea on the references for Table A.14 of ISO 15156-3?.

It is understood that most operators have their own set of limits for Alloy 825 which are different from Table A.14 of ISO 15156-3.
Alloy 825 weld overlay is not acceptable for the limits in Table A.14 of ISO 15156-3 due to dilution issues, leaving roll bonding/explosive cladding and Solid Alloy 825 options.
And, due to lower PREN of Alloy 825, limited usage on offshore platforms due to external CISCC concerns.
NORSOK m-001 or ISO 21457 do not have temperature limits for Alloy 825 for uncoated condition. But based on PREN values would it be around 80°C-90°C?

Krishna

I haven't worked with 15156-3 for many years so I don't recall the limits there.
I have worked with a number of companies that use a bit more restrictive limit, more like 135C for 825.
And yes, external corrosion can also be an issue with this alloy.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

@Ed - ISO 15156-3 doesn't have any limits for solution annealed 825, only for solution annealed and cold worked; and then only for temperature and pH2S above 132 deg C.

Steve Jones
Corrosion Management Consultant

All answers are personal opinions only and are in no way connected with any employer.

@SJones
Great to see you here.

There is a cautionary note in the remark's column of Table A.13, "No limits on individual parameters are set, but some combinations of the values of these parameters might not be acceptable.". Do the temperature (>150degC) in Figure 23 and Figure 24 fall under this remark given the test conditions?

Yes, 132degC limit is provided in Table A.14 for any combination of H2S, Chlorides and the in-situ pH. However, with reference to the Figures 23 and 24 in the above referred paper, do the limits in Table A.14 still holds good for Alloy 825?

The cautionary note is probably an ISO backside covering exercise to get over the need to keep the NACEites happy by grandfathering in their “no limits” beliefs when there is substantial evidence that there are limits. How one treats Figures 23 and 24 is dependent upon individual policies and philosophies. Those figures were obtained by C-ring testing, certainly Figure 23, which might not be appropriate for comparison with other ISO 15156 limits.

Would you like some operator’s limits derived by testing, or do you already have them?

Steve Jones

All answers are personal opinions only and are in no way connected with any employer.

@SJones

Thank you for your response.

Since I have exhausted in searching for relevant information, the queries have been posted here seeking the member's opinions assuming that they might have come across similar situations. More information will definitely help to make a good judgement.

Curious to know on the basis of the limits prescribed in Table A.14, do they are based on the test results (other than C-ring testing)? Any references in this regard will greatly help me to understand.

If it is possible share the operator’s limits derived by testing, it is really a great help. The only reference I have is Shell DEP.

@SJones

CO₂ - 18%mol
H₂S - 2%mol
Chlorides - 17000ppm
Total Organic Acid - 218ppmw
Bicarbonates - 44ppm
Temperature - 130°C-145°C
Pressure - 200barg-226barg

A little snippet of information from 2008:

[URL unfurl="true"]https://res.cloudinary.com/engineering-com/raw/upload/v1680335021/tips/825_b0unm5.docx[/url]

As you are aware, the quoted conditions are well within the Shell DEP limits.

You may also wish to talk to the piping engineers about the cost effectiveness of 825 for a class 1500 piping system versus selecting 625 Grade 1.

Steve Jones

@SJones

Thanks for the update.

Yes, it is well with in DEP limits.

However, it is noted that some of the operators do not intend to use Alloy 825 though the limits are within the boundaries of Table A.14 especially the temperature is >100°C-120°C.
Unfortunately, I do not have much experience in Shell Projects. Would like to know if Shell used Alloy 825 at >120°C either solid or clad in topsides piping or equipment.

Krishna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back