Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ALLSE -Strain Energy in impact simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

loyal979

Mechanical
Nov 6, 2018
US
Hello All,

I am performing impact simulations of composite materials in ABAQUS/Explicit. I am just wondering about the recoverable strain energy ALLSE, how do we interpret this energy in impact simulations? I have my ALLSE exactly the same as the internal energy (ALLIE) in the initial phase of impact. Should ALLSE be smaller than ALLIE?

Note: There is no artificial strain energy.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ALLSE is elastic strain energy. ALLIE on the other hand means total strain energy that consists of ALLSE, ALLPD, ALLCD and ALLAE. ALLPD and ALLCD refer to plasticity and viscoelasticity/creep effects, respectively. ALLAE is artifical strain energy and should be small as its too large values may indicate hourglassing. This is normal that in the first stage of impact, when deformation is elastic, ALLIE is the same as ALLSE as there are no plastic effects that could contribute to ALLIE.

Thank you FEA way for your response.

ALLAE is zero in my case because I am doing a fully integrated analysis (C3D8). I just was curious about the strain energy ALLSE. My understanding is that this energy ALLSE should decrease as damage initiates. is that correct? or that decrease will happen during the rebound of the striker?

ALLSE will first increase significantly at impact because kinetic energy is partially converted to strain energy. Rebound will decrease it as it’s converted back to kinetic energy. Damage initiation will cause release of energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back