Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ALT Key !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FM1

Structural
Dec 16, 2001
US
I am working with a new computer with 2 monitors.
normally make use of the "ALT" key plus charcter codes to to superscribe the digit 2 to show a power of two, Alt+0178 will result in power of 2.
on this new machine this does not work, how can i change what the "ALT" keys do???

Many thanks

FM

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

windows 7 (I should have mentioned that)

I am trying to use windows "Character Map"
Start>>Accessaries>>system tools>>character Map

i should be able to insert any character by using ALT+"Numeric code" in any windows based application. and i do it at home on W7 but somehow not on my work pc

New computer, you say. Perhaps the problem is the new keyboard rather than the new twinscreen setup. The use of the Alt+nnnn sequence to obtªin access to an expanded character set should work pretty much any where any time, but as I understand things the "nnnn" bit must be entered on the numeric keypad. Thus (using Alt+0187 to obtain a chevron character):
» On a full-scale keyboard you must have NumLock correctly set;
» On a truncated NoteBook style of keyboard you must also be using the numeric keypad that is "hidden" somewhere among the alphabetic keys.

Apologies if I am suggesting self-evident possibilites you have already considered and discarded, but this is all I can think of. Alt+nnnn has never let me down, even if it is a right PIA on NoteBooks.

when i disconnect the laptop from the external monitor it works fine.
with the external monitor attached as soon as i reach 1 in 0178 (with alt key pressed) it only identifies the #1 monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back