Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alternate Career 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnjneer

Structural
Nov 5, 2002
US
All:
I have been in this business for almost 30 years (designing and managing structural projects)and have enjoyed it, but am curious to explore alternate careers where I can use my structural engineering skills. Do any of you know of other structural engineers that changed careers that utilized their skills? If so, I would be interested in hearing what types of positions they took.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have a friend that went into facility management. After years in the consulting business he decided to try things from the owner's side.

He was responible for managing revonations and new construction at a small college campus. He said he enjoyed it, but had to learn a few things about construction schedulng and other trades (like mechanical) plus some bugdeting.

Overall he enjoyed it and learned alot.

I had another friend you started doing techanical sales. Mainly it involved answering engineering questions about the product which happened to be steel joists.

Again he enjoyed the work and learned alot about steel joists.

Teaching - like math, science, physics at mid or high school level. Many districts are so hard up they will waive the education credits or pay you to get them.

As a guy with only 2 years of experience I would say education would be a great field to get into. It's what I wouldn't mind doing later in life once I have 30 years of experience. I know it was frusturating to have professors that have only done design in labs. While the labs where very interesting and benficial to learn some of the mechanics, it didn't teach me how to be a good engineer. Having a teacher that has the technical know how and the ability to be able to apply it in real situations would be invaluable. Sure, I can go to a text book and a manual and find out exactly which beams/columns/post/deck will work, but it's all theoretical. To have some one be able to apply the efficiency/economy of design is something that needs to be done in the class rooms.

Thank you for your input. I will review them and see what I can come up with, and if I do pursue something different, I will post what I am doing.

Thank you

Know of a guy that has a structural engineering degree and after working for a few years as a structural engineer, became an orthodontist. Know of another guy who now designs prosthetics.

Finding a job that is a step up. Mmmm.

Oops, there is no step up from being a structural engineer.

Michael.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Teaching at the college level. We need more professors with real-world design experience!
Yeah, I think that's a great idea for a lot of people. Teach a few classes as a part time instructor at a local university. If that line of work seems like a good fit, then try to find a "lecturer" or "instructor" position. Those jobs are out there and I think that might be the best job that anybody can have, assuming a natural ability to teach--otherwise forget it LOL. Watch the ASCE career area.

BTW, wrt the lack of real world experience in universities: good luck with that. Real world design experience is of about zero value in the task that's most important for professors: coming up with grants. A new PhD coming right out of school with zero design experience, but WITH experience writing a couple of NSF proposals is more competitive than a designer with 20-30 years of industry experience IMO.

Having a teacher that has the technical know how and the ability to be able to apply it in real situations would be invaluable.
Invaluable to you as a student. LOL. You're thinking only about the classroom. Remember that grants and journal publications are larger measuring sticks for a professor. Sad reality for those of us who like to teach, but money doesn't grow on trees.

BTW, I'm a professor and have about 12 years of industry experience. I don't think my experience did much for me in finding an academic job. Does help A LOT in the classroom, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back