Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAREER ADVICE REQUIRED: 8years experience Structural group leader/Lead vs Senior Structural Engineer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeViV0525

Civil/Environmental
May 17, 2017
US
8 years Exp total

I was at a really small firm, where for 1 year what all I did was steel detailing, check shop dwg's and then got experience in designing of buildings (category 5 wind) for 4 years. I really feel like I was too long at this place for terrible pay ($58k/year after 5 years :eek:). After that, started working for about 3 years as Structural Engineer in water/waste water, getting $85k. Recently passed PE, nominal 6% increase at current place. I want to make up for my first 5 years now.

Now, I got one offer for 125k, but the role is structural engineer group leader/Lead and they are expecting me to start a team and develop it. Ofcourse, it depends on if I can find the right people etc. The Senior Managers found to be very supportive in interview process and they really need a Structural Engineer for their Business in my state. This company ($400 mil) has good business in transportation, power & other areas; But desperately looking to increase it's business in water/waste water. The second offer ( company with multiple business areas - power, nuclear etc; $300mil) I got is around $115k as Senior Structural Engineer but in Energy Industry in which water is also included. I was told I will be working in Renewable Energy as they are looking to increase market in it. This is going to be new industry to me. They also offer complete remote position.

I am VERY CONFUSED now. I am inclined now for first one as it is a familiar industry. I told them, I can join in 3 months and until then I'll grasp all the knowledge & Calcs, etc from my current firm. I was said I am good with people, so hopefully I can manage the "management" part of the new role, but little furious about signing & sealing at new role, as I am not confident enough. I said I can sign & seal like 6months to a year after I join them, after I get familiar with the firm master specs, details, QA/QC etc. Should I go for it ?

Any advice, I'd really appreciate, please pour in fellow STRUCTURAL ENGINEERS.

KeViV

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My advice would be to keep schedule and budget in your back pocket ... if you plan for your "true" schedule and you're doing something "new" then you will miss it. If it's something you've done before then the amount of uncertainty, and the amount of reserve, decreases.

The second piece would be listen to the professionals when they say how long something will take, not the marketers (who sound like Billy Connolly as a Project Manager, available on the YT). But also they pad things so as not to look bad, so experience will teach you if someone is on the ball or padding.

The "problem" I found with mgmt is you stop working with things (or numbers) and start working with people. Really good managements get really good performing teams. Take an honest interest in your team, be human, allow them to be human.

personally I take whatever books say as the merest guidance ... not a cookbook for success.

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Technical project management is like playing chess - to succeed you have to be thinking 6-8 moves ahead. You have to be always looking ahead figuring out what can go wrong and put in place contingencies, alternates, etc before everything goes to ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back