Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

alternative earth anchors

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigwaller

Civil/Environmental
Oct 26, 2003
US
considering a big wall design for a small developement and wonder if anyone has experience with a less expensive earth anchor in the 50+ kn range than the stingray anchors.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks . The same company manufactures both. I am probably going to use some of each of them the mantarays for 20 kip the sting rays for 30 and 40 . Iam really looking for another manufacturer to keep em honest!! thanks

Need to design manta ray anchors for say 10 kip pullout and 3 kips horizontal sher load for SPRUNG ( Elliptical shape tent). Vender has a table with limited depth and different types on anchor and you need "N" value from soils report.

If any one can put me on rightdirection. Thanks

Samee

Have you considered standard cable anchors or even rod anchors. I don't know the soil conditions you have, but it may be useful in a price comparison. These would be systems similarly used in standard timber shoring with "H" beam wale tiebacks. Most contractors who specialize in this construction could give you a quote, or you can visit: Langtendons.com (for cabels) or dywidag-systems.com (for Bar).

Keithe J. Merl

Hi Samee
The 10 K should be no problem, but then you dont know what your anchoring into. Where is Rock? Is there cobble, boulder or obstructions that would not allow you to drive the anchor.
How do you propose to resist the 3 K side load with a manta ray?
I think you may have the cart in front of the horse. Find out what your dealing with and then select a system based on that site.
First, begin with soils engineering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back