Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alternative to ASA

Status
Not open for further replies.

sizzer33

Mechanical
Jan 6, 2008
Hi all,

Just would like to get some advise on any good alternative resin for ASA. The part is used in conveyor rollers, its just a plug we stick on both sides, apply some grease to prevent dust and water going in. We want to find something besides ASA due to cost and also the availability issue in Asia.

Part needs to have good impact resistance and UV resistance as it'll be used in mines to transport rocks. No constant load on the part, its just a plug.

Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I did think of PC but the part will be covered in oil though. What's the maker and name of the UV stabilised PC you're mentioning.

If it's covered in oil, forget PC.

If it needs UV forget ABS.

If it needs the same mould shrinkage you are pretty limited.

Maybe SAN? I don't really remember its properties other than cear and low shrinkage.

Maybe one of the newer PET amorphous grades. They are exceptionally difficult to mould though.

Apart from mould shrinkage UV stabilised nylon would be a shoe in.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Its a new part so the mould is not build yet. Our resin agent did suggest PA66. I read somewhere of some rubber treated PA66 or something, anyone used this before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back