Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alternative to Shotpeening

Status
Not open for further replies.

koza19

Mechanical
Sep 28, 2005
US
I have a customer which we manufacture springs that get shotpeened and the customer is having issues with the shot media getting wedged in between the last active coil and closed coil. The spring is used in a hydraulic pump and they do not what any foreign material that could cavitate the pump. Does anyone know of a different shotpeening method that doesn’t use shot media?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd think any blasting media has the chance to leave residue behind, and residue in a hydraulic pump is a guarantee of failure. A better question might be "how to best clean these springs", and I'd be looking at ways to gently wedge open the final turn to ensure that area gets as well cleaned as the rest of the spring.

Non shot peening options to investigate would included REM microfinishing, laser peening and nitriding. But, as btrueblood points, you might get more bang for your buck with an enhanced cleaning process.

Thanks for the info guys. Currently we are cleaning it exactly
like as btrueblood stated. Customer likes this method but does not want to pay for it. I would like to try to redesign the springs so they would not need to be shotpeened, this maybe the easier route.

"I would like to try to redesign the springs so they would not need to be shotpeened"

Well, probably not acceptable to the customer, as the fatigue life would suffer.

But how about redesigning the spring so that the last turn is not "fully closed", i.e. doesn't rest against the next turn? If the spring is guided in its travel, it is unlikely that the fully closed condition is a design requirement.

flash3780
Do you know anyone in the Chicago-land area that does laser shock peening? Also do you where I can find any literature about the process?

Thanks for the info

Can you give more detailed information of the spring:
Dimentions
First load point
Second load point
Number of active and total coils
Type of ends
Material specifications

Did you check wire surface conditions after coiling (Nicks, Scratches, Dents, Tool markings, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back