Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Alternatives to Engineering-International for basic structural dsign software/spreadsheets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdustin

Civil/Environmental
Feb 6, 2016
US
I've been using Li's Engineering-International spreadsheets for small peripheral concrete structural design; mostly, footings, small retaining walls, and box culverts. The stuff works fine and the hand checks pass, but I am sick to death of dealing with the licensing issues with the package--I've had to buy it two or three times now for dumb stuff like changing computers, replacing bad hard drives, etc. Has anyone used anything else that is comparable or better? I am a sole practitioner, so I only need a single user license, and I don't mind paying more if I don't ever have to deal with the owner again. I'm tired of being treated with suspicion every time I have a hardware problem. I love that he keeps it checked up against current code, I love the layout, but I hate the customer service.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think about doing that (writing my own)but it's such a small part of what I do that it's not worth the time to generate them--I do something like this one or two times a year. He does a great job with the spreadsheets it just seems like every year or so I get jammed up between a license glitch and a deadline.

I use to exclusively use my own spreadsheets (and still use some), but I have moved on to purchasing software. You might consider looking into programs like StruCalc, EnerCalc, and Retain Pro. Each of these programs are reasonably priced for the most part in my opinion. All programs come with there own advantages and disadvantages (just as developing your own spreadsheets does).

You may buy only those spreadsheets that you use often....
I am not aware of their current sales policy, but this option was available around 2008.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back