Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alternatives to hex chromate for mechanical tin / zink plating

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillCole

Mechanical
Jan 31, 2011
US

Could anyone suggest an alternative topcoat for a mechanical tin / zink plating? Most of the suppliers I have contacted about trivalent chromate have said they aren't recommending them for tin / zinc mixtures.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you want higher corrosion resistance, try using a higher performance zinc electroplating like ZinKlad or a zinc-nickel electroplating.

Thank you for the reply. I do understand there are other options with electroplating. I was specifically wondering about mechanically plated parts.

The application I was thinking about was mechanically plated flat springs of extremely high tensile steel. They are not electroplated because of hydrogen embitterment / baking issues.

Cost is a bit of a factor, so exotic processes like solvent based aluminum plating are not viable.

The extra information supplied allows better responses. There are inorganic and organic topcoats that can improve corrosion resistance, try Magni and Dorken. If you want really good corrosion resistance with low embrittlement risk, try zinc-rich coatings from Magni and Dorken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back