Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alternatives to pre-cast deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkWPflow

Mechanical
Jun 13, 2002
US
I have a new project that requires a raised deck spanning an area of 24 ft. x 34 ft. in a parking structure. The deck must support automotive traffic. I have been told by most that pre-cast planks such as Span-Crete is the way to go. I am not a concrete expert, but it would seem that a poured deck would be cheaper. This is part of a system I am trying to develop a market for, and cost is an issue. The deck will be supported on block around the entire perimeter. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

MarkWPflow,

I believe elevated slabs for the application you're shooting for usually involve post-tensioning. You'll probably find that this method is not anywhere close to being the least expensive. Best of luck.

Thanks for the post dirtsqueezer,

I should probably have clarified that the deck is not supported directly on the block wall, just that the wall is available around the entire perimeter. I was anticipating that joists, beams, or trusses of reasonable depth would be used in conjunction with a steel pan or some such arrangement. I'm just not well versed in concrete construction techniques and was looking for some direction.

Thanks again.

One advantage of pre-cast concrete deck (hollow core slabs or double tee's) is manpower cost. A cast in place deck takes man hours to set forms and reinforcing and to pour the concrete. You then have shoring, re-shoring, and form stripping. If you want to minimize the concrete member sizes, you will generally choose a post tensioned system. However, this adds an extra step to the construction process; tensioning the slabs/beams. Another advantage is time. The precast pieces are manufactured off site after shop drawings have been approved. The approval process can be started at the same time as the superstructure approval process is started. Pre-cast concrete members can arrive on site as soon as they can be erected. Both construction types have their place depending on the constraints of the project. Items that affect construction system are cost, time, environment, expected life of structure, deck lay-out, etc.

I was involved in an economic study about 10 years ago regarding various types of construction for parking garages. Even with only one local precaster (no competition), the most cost-effective system, taking into consideration ease of construction, quality, low maintenance (in a freeze-thaw, deising chemical environment)and life-cycle costing was precast.

The beauty of the system was that column spacings were far greater and floor heights could be reduced, over conventional concrete systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back