Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

altitude vs. temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodneyb

Mechanical
Jun 26, 2001
US
I am modeling an electronic heat sink specified to 10,000 ft. How should I change the pressure to handle this? Will lowering the environmental pressure correct the elevation change?
-R

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That is the main question I am asking. Should I change the temperature effects? So say I am looking for 10k ft and 65 C.

Electronics in military equipment are not necessarily operated outside at 10,000ft. Additionally, solar load can bring the temperature up to 65ºC regardless of external temperature.

TTFN

My point was that if temperature at altitude affected the design, it would be from colder temps. If the widget was heated or insulated, sea level conditions would control, and temp at altitude wouldn't matter.

That is really what I wanted. I needed to know the air density.. Now do you have one that adds humidity?
Thanks,
Rodney

Tables are available of temperature, pressure, and density at increasing altitudes. They are standard values and are not constant as they fluctuate with weather changes. I saw them in an aeronautical handbook and wish my memory was better so I could tell you the name. The data comes from one of the Federal agencies, maybe NWS or NOAA.

The relationships between temperature, pressure and altitude that are used in air pollution dispersion modeling are presented in the book "Fundamentals of Stack Gas Dispersion", Fourth Edition, 2005 available at and the following is a direct quote from that book:

Atmospheric pressure decreases with increasing altitude, and any air rising from the warm surface of the earth will expand as it rises to lower atmospheric pressure levels. Taking the atmospheric pressure at sea level to be 14.696 psia, we can obtain the atmospheric pressure at any altitude from this approximation:

(1) P[sub]a[/sub] = 14.696 (0.963)[sup]a[/sup]

We can obtain the temperature which will be acquired by dry air rising from sea level to any given altitude from this expression which assumes that the rising air expands adiabatically:

(2) T[sub]a[/sub] =T[sub]s[/sub] (P[sub]a[/sub]/14.696)[sup](k-1)/k[/sup]

where:
a = altitude in 1000's of feet
P[sub]a[/sub] = atmospheric pressure at altitude a, in psia
T[sub]a[/sub] = air temperature at altitude a, in degrees R
T[sub]s[/sub] = sea level ambient temperature, in degrees R
k = 1.4 for air

Using the above relationships, one finds that from sea level to 8000 feet, the atmospheric pressure decreases 0.5 psi per 1000 feet ... and the temperature of dry air will decrease 5.5 degrees F per 1000 feet.

Milton Beychok

I think that although temperature decreases as altitude increases, the drop in air density has a negative effect on heatsinks. MIL-W-5088 has info on this in relation to current ratings in electrical wiring which relys on ambient air cooling and it applies a 5% derating factor at 10,000ft.

Rodney mentioned 10,000 feet at 65C, so I'm guessing his heat sink is not airborne.

His worst-case scenario might be a heat sink at the top of an electronic cabinet on a hot day with an A/C failure in a crowded computer room in La Paz, Bolivia...

ko (

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back