ALUM WELD BEVEL, 60 OR 45 DEGREES

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmschrader

Mechanical
Jun 25, 2002
US
Hello

The AWS D1.2 calls out 60 degree bevels (either single or double V) on most or all of the Recommended CJP Joints in the back of the spec. And this is how we qualified our welds for the Qualifictaion and procedure tests for AWS.
But we can prep the metal much faster by doing a 45 deg weld prep on a band saw, which can only go to 45 degree. My question is: Does anyone know how necessary the 60 degree weld prep angle is vs the 45 degree weld prep? Or would I need to go thru all the AWS testing again, which managment will not want to do. We only have to have a CWI inspect some of our jobs, and on those jobs we stick to the 60 degree welds which have a qualified WPS. But on Jobs not requiring the inspections the shop will often do 45 degree weld preps and those units have passed structural testing. Although I can not say the individual welds would pass the AWS weld bend tests.
Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The 45 degree joint is not pre-qualified, so you will have to develop a Welding Procedure Specification, have it qualified, then have your welders qualified to that, in order to comply with the code.

TM ... I don't want to sound ignorant here, but can you "flip" the plate over to saw cut a reverse 30 degree bevel, and then have a 60 degrees when you flip it back? I had that "simple" problem too on a band saw until a "through the eyes of a baby" employee suggested it. Just a suggestion, but you may not be able to do this due to the geometry of the part.

As far as AWS, if the aluminum quals are similar to steel, I think you may have to requal with a "tighter" bevel. I think I recall that you can open the bevel but not close it up. Hence, a good reason to run your quals at the "worst" limits on bevel, root, amps, volts, etc, so you can have the most flexibility in writing your WPS's. But the alum code may be different.

Thanks for the response. Yes, I guess they could just flip the parts around on the band saw. I will have to talk to the guys in the shop about that. I just accepted it when they told me they could not cut a 60 degree bevel, but it seems like they should be able to.
It would be very difficult to get the company to do a requal on a new PQR/WPS at this time. So getting them to do the 60 deg bevel should get us closer to AWS procedures.

TKS
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back