Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aluminium alloy ID 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdodd

Automotive
Jul 18, 2001
AU
I have a material change to approve from aluminium alloy A3003 to A3103. I have data on the chemical analysis and mechanical properties of A3003 but not A3103. Can anyone out there assist with a reference or actual data. It is a German alloy which is not listed in Matweb or the specifications I can readily reference.

Thanks In Advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A crosslisting of wrought Al alloys specifications is at
Lots of info from this site on Al 3103 (as well as other wrought and cast alloys).

Composition from Al 3103 composition
Mn 0.9 - 1.5 wt%
Fe <= 0.7
Si <= 0.50
Mg <= 0.30
Zn <= 0.20
Total Other <= 0.15
Zr+Ti <= 0.10
Cr <= 0.10
Cu <= 0.10
Other Elem <= 0.05
Al Remainder

Some general info on Al 3101:
Applications: Building industry: roofing and sidings, corrugated sheets. Chemical and food industries: storage tanks, pipes, metal work. Equipment for heating and cooling: heat exchangers, air condition evaporators, motor vehicle radiators, freezer linings. Home appliances: cooking utensils, bakery moulds, office equipment. Tubing, piping. Packaging: containers, closures. Cladding alloy. Pressure vessels.

Characteristic Properties: Very good resistance to atmospheric corrosion. Very good weldability. Good formability by pressing, drawing and roll forming. Medium strength alloy. Better mechanical properties (in particular at elevated temperatures) than 1xxx-alloys. Properties very close to those of 3003

Physical and elastic properties are at
Mechanical properties are at

Probably not a glitch, just an indication of the large scatter in the available data due to different testing conditions. E.g., sample geometry, notched vs. unnotched, electropolished finish vs. mechanical grit, alloy variation, stress frequency, stress ratio, etc. That is why S/N curves are often shown in books as broad bands.

MIL-HDBK-5J, Re Al 7075-T6:
“Figures 3.7.6.1.8(a) through (h) provide room-temperature fatigue curves for T6 temper products.”
Eight figures are given, corresponding to various sets of sample geometry and finish, and each figure has 4 or more best-fit curves for different stress ratios or mean stresses. Standard deviations are about 1 log unit (an order of magnitude) even for data obtained under a set of standard conditions.

Hope this helps,
Ken

Ken
thanks for the helpful reply. I suppose my overall point is that without either the supporting metadata, or your explanation, then such data from this source and potentially elsewhere on the net have to be treated with some caution.
What I would hate to happen is that, unwittingly, someone unfamiliar with the data used the &quot;wrong&quot; values (smoothed bar data for an application with a notch in it).
regards, Chris

If 3103 is anything like 3105, it may be a recycled alloy with minimum mechanical properties but no specified maximums. This can be a problem in some situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back