Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aluminium Floating Roofs for crude oil storage 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sundar S

Mechanical
Nov 3, 2022
IN
Hi people,
Good day!

I need a clarification on storage of Crude oil with Aluminium IFRs.

Understand that crude oil can be stored in an Aluminium IFR tank. However, I wanted to know whether the sulfur content in the crude will damage or corrode the aluminium parts?

Sulfur Content for the specific crude that will be stored is 1200 to 2300 ppm

Kindly share your views and feedback please.

Thank you all in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've seen may aluminum IFRs in crude oil service, they seem to do quite well in general.
Some crude oils have a high wax content which can become a problem at the tank shell, insulation and heating helps and wax scrapers can be used but for this type of crude steel floating roofs seem to be used. Sulfuric acid can be the result of sulfur combining with oxygen and water so you may have better success with aluminum full-contact floating roofs. Aggressive mixers can damage any floating roof but lightweight ones are more sensitive than heavier ones. If air spargers are used fir mixing, the floating roof needs more vents. Extremely viscous crudee oils may build up on the underside of the floating roof or the tank shell, steel floating roofs may survive this better in the long term. If your crude oil varies a lot, and you don't need a floating roof some of the time (if there are little or no light ends to evaporate and pollute the air), a chain or cable suspended aluminum floating roof can be pinned up near the top of the tank (during the last filling event) to be out of the way and then changed back to floating when the tank is next filled with lighter crude.

You won't get better than IFRS.

Normally it's sulphur in water, but that will hopefully sink to the bottom or Sulphate reducing Bacteria, but again - you really need a water phase for that so I hope your floor and walls are well coated.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

It should also be concerned that whether the alum roof is joint by adhesives. Adhesives might be eroded by petrochemicals, which affects the durability of alum roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back