Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aluminium Molds 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soupcat

Mechanical
Aug 28, 2002
IE
We run hundred of thousands of parts with aluminum moulds, and we've found is that in most cases you can buy 2 aluminum moulds for the price of one steel one and the steel one isn't going to last much longer than the aluminum one. There are a lot of toolmakers out there that will only make a mould out of hardened steel ground to perfection, which will make a really good product but technology has now made this an over-engineered requirement. With so many products presently coming and going in the market-place and the many changes in products themselves, it's difficult to understand why people are willing to spend the extra money it takes to build and maintain steel moulds.
98% of the moulds we run are QC7 aluminum and we use all types of plastic with these moulds, including glass filled nylon. We sometimes find it necessary to use some steel in our moulds, such as putting steel inserts in the gate area when moulding glass filled materials through a tunnel gate or steel core pins when the cores are very small to guarantee stability. Sometimes if we need a side action it may be better to use a dissimilar metal to avoid material pick-up. QC7's strength allows you to design and manufacture deeper parts from smaller moulds.
QC7's strength makes it more suitable for a higher pressure forming operation such as injection moulding, this material has outstanding surface hardness, which increases mould life; its narrow range of hardness values, with minimal differentials between surface and centre location readings eliminates problems such as galling or deformation along the split line.
In the past we have taken Irish moulding customers to our plant and they have been amazed by the facility and the aluminium ethos, they have witnessed a six machine cell for manufacturing food containers with aluminium tooling cycling at 5 seconds and robots de-moulding and packing parts on each machine. Our moulding companies philosophy is…if high volumes are required from an aluminium tool, it’s worth maintaining the tool in our in-house toolroom because ultimately our revenue is drawn from moulding volume parts.
Of course steel moulds have their place, if you're certain that a product will sell millions each month, and it's a very intricate part with many side cores, it may be a good idea to use steel or if high volumes are planned and parts need to be moulded out of a glass filled plastic or a very corrosive plastic like PVC, then consider steel or stainless steel as the mould material. But if the annual requirement is hundreds or thousands or indeed tens of thousands, QC7 aluminium is the most cost effective solution. In the past when people first started building moulds out of aluminum they used a very cheap alloy eg 6061 aluminum, which moulded parts but the tools were mainly for prototype purpose and didn't last. This practice had given ally tooling a bad name in terms of its Longevity but thankfully that’s changing now. Are there any US companies out there who are adapting to this philosophy?

Kieran Fegan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your message on the QC7 aluminium molds is of great interest to us, a small electronics manufacturing company trying to save on mould costs.

A few questions :

1. How does QC7 compare with cheap steel material, in terms of cost and performance ?

2. Any difficulty in mould maintenance and repairs with QC7 ?

3. Who is the manufacturer of QC7 ?

Thanks for the info.

E.T. Foo

I have designed many moulds with this material and always keep it in mind while designing plastic components for injection moulding.

1) QC7 is a bit more than cheap steel (p-20) but the greater cycle times you chan achiev far out weigh this.

2) Mold maintenance is generally no different than a steel tool

3) QC7 is sold by Alcoa Aluminum. Follow this link, there is an 11 page .pdf file that you can download.

Let me know if I can help in any other way.

John Beilman
jbeilman@rochester.rr.com

I agree that aluminium often makes good sense.

Often, with modern machine centres, it is not much cheaper than mild steel, but it is easier to modify, and the better thermal conductivity helps keep mould surface temperatures more even and controlled.

The only real drawbacks are its high co-efficient of expansion.

One added benifit, I have never seen discussed is the light weight. This in the extreme case, can aleviate the need to buy a heavier rated mould handling system.

eg. You have a 2 tonne crane, all your current moulds weigh less than 2 tonne. You have a new mould to be made. It will weigh 3 tonne in steel, but less than 2 tonne in aluminium.

Finally, I know of at least one case, wher a cast aluminium "prototype mould" is still in production 15 years latter, after having produced many hundreds of thousands of parts, and having been weldes and modified a number of times. It is a large part ih HI styrene, being an office chair back cover.
Kieran
I do have that technical data scanned and compressed now, but I have been moveing office, and I lost your e-mail address. The file is to large to post here. Regards
pat

Etfoo,
QC7 is more expensive that P20, but if you consider that it is so much easier to machine, polish, texture (good textured finishes can be achieved by vapour blasting aluminium) and very importantly to handle, the benefits outweigh any cost issue. If a textured surface gets shiny over time, a simple re-blast brings it back to specification. John also rightly points out that the better conductivity allows for faster cycling. We have QC7 tools that have moulded over a million parts, we also have tools moulding Glass-filled Nylon! There is little difference in maintenance between QC7 and P20. QC7 is sold by Alcoa.

Regards

Kieran

We find that there are better alloys than QC7 available now though QC7 seems to be the U S industry standard. Also the cost of a mould is determined by the cost of 'skilled' input which goes into it as cost of material is not a major component.Though productivity increases and savings in manufacturing time are factors that favour the use of non steel substitutes.
Mandeep Grewal
kametplastic@now-india.net.in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back