Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aluminium Thermal Properties 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgtrippledot

Mechanical
Feb 1, 2006
DE
Hi Friends,

I am dealing with heating-up aluminium (AlMgSi0.5) bars in ovens. I am trying to simulate this process using finite element software Ansys.

In order to model this process better, i would like to know the change of thermal properties ( like conductivity, specific heat) with temperature. I have searched various recources, however could not find this relationship. The data given is always at room temperature.

If You could direct me to some documents or internet sites or any kind of resource or share graphs or data tables, I would be very thankful.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hi ko99,
thanks for your suggestion.
there i can only find again room temperature.

i am still searching for it, if you have any other idea you are wellcome

Hi,
the link has really useful information,
I will try to find the references as well

thanks for your help

mg...

The following is from Kreith "Principles of Heat Transfer, 3rd Edition" -- my falling apart heat transfer book which I keep because he has some really useful material property tables in the back --

Temp Conductivity
32F 117 (BTU/hr-ft-F)
212F 119 "
572F 133 "
932F 155 "

Unfortunately, the specific heat is only given at 32F: 0.208 BTU/lbm-F

You might also try the National Istitute of Standards and Technology ( it has a number of standards available online

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Did you try the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics?

Tunalover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back