Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aluminum AW-4046 Preparation of the melt & casting

Status
Not open for further replies.

gariartola

Industrial
Jun 15, 2009
ES
Dear colleagues,

I am melting an equivalent to aluminum alloy AW-4046 (9-11%Si; 0,2-0,5%Mg) and casting it into investment casting shells for a trial in the upcoming weeks and I have never dealt with this alloy.

Since it is a Si-Mg alloy, I have considered to use the same amount of eutectic modifier (Na tablets) and grain refiners (Ti-B tablets) as for A357 (an alloy I am used to in the range 6-7%Si; 0,45-0,65% Mg)), and using same melt temperature and shell temperature. Should I be aware of any issue besides the fact that more silicon might mean more modifier and the difference in the solidification temperature range might mean working with lower melt temperature or higher shell temperature? Does feeding distance shorten enough for me to have to change the criteria for feeder design?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Gari

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As you are now near eutectic composition,perhaps Sr or B additions might help.(more a memory recall)

If you think education is expensive, try Ignorance.
- Andy McIntyre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back