Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Aluminum Cutting? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

vladz21

Computer
Feb 17, 2016
SA
hi, now my LC2415 A# NT laser is fully operational thanks to the help of @laserninja and @foostrap, I already start cutting mild steel and stainless.

quick question, why I cannot cut in aluminum 1mm thick, and I even can't pierce it! I use different method already, ( changing the focal lens, change the nozzle I even use double nozzle, then the different cutting condition, I even reach full power, and wont even etch?)

did I missing something? or problem with parameter? I been working on this for the past 3 days and it really hard to understand why?.

thanks, any input might help, and appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One more thing, any chance the have the lens focal length mixed up?
In other words could you have the 7.5" in the head instead of the 5".
Check it please.

no sir, because all my focal lens is new, and I installed it carefully knowing the effect if mix up, but then I will re-check it to be sure. thanks

hi, I just check the focal lens, I look up the package of a new spare I have and check and compare the lens in the same height, the 7.5" is clear and you can read the writing on the paper, while the 5" is blurred, the package label this: for 5" ZNSE PO/CX Lens 50.8mmDIA 127mmFL ET=9.65mm AR coated @ 10.6µm and for 7.5" ZNSE PO/CX Lens 50.8mmDIA 190.5mmFL ET=9.652mm AR coated @ 10.6µm

do you think I have the right focal lens? I mean this is a standard for this kind of parts right? I bought this one in II-VI infrared.

Something doesn't make sense because if you cut a part from stainless you should be able to cut the aluminum if you use the exact same program and setup. After 19 years that has never not worked you just have to keep everything the same otherwise you will be running in circles trying to fix the problem. Now if you switched lenses and ran the test the only thing changed was the lens so that would tell you it's with the lens maybe mounted upside down.

I know its odd, because I'm operating the laser for so many years, and this is the first, i can fix minor troubleshooting, but this one? i really don't know what to do, i open up my lens to make sure its not upside down, but it installed correctly,

i believe that I'm using aluminum P1020, do you think this change everything? and I'm only trying it on 1mm

On your cut condition page conditions 1 - 9 nozzle gap should be .5mm you don't want to change from one condition to the next. Did you try a focus of -.02?

"i believe that I'm using aluminum P1020, do you think this change everything? and I'm only trying it on 1mm"

YES! This does change everything. P1020 is basicly pure aluminum and will always give you problems. It looks to be the american equivalent of 1100. It is not like an alloyed 5052 or 6061. I had problems with this around 20 years ago but do not remember the results. I will look back in my files and see if I can find anything to help and reply again, but this might prompt someone else as well. You may have to coat the surface of the material with something to help prevent reflection.

Exactly; 5000 or 6000 series aluminum will cut with no problem. 3000 series gets harder; you can cut it but much slower. 1000 series, very hard; way slower. Try to cut it like copper; using high pressure oxygen. Watch for your lens cracking due to excess back reflection.

hi guys, sorry for late reply i went for a short leave and i just got back, regarding the alum, i will try to get 5052 or 6061 alum alloy, and test it, really guys thank you very much, i understand why i cant cut because of the material,

if there's any or alternative way you can help me to cut this P1020 its very appreciated, due to our client required this kind of material.

again thank you very much to all of you, for your inputs and expertise, thumbs up!

vladz21,
If you can get you hands on a 3.75" lens you should try that, we have cut 1050 aluminium with pretty much the same settings as 5005 & did not have any of the issues you are seeing.
Order the lens holder from Amada, about $300 or machine up a threaded spacer to lengthen the 5" lens holder.
Because the focus point is so much smaller & beam intensity is more you might find the same results as we had.

hi ausman,
that's great! maybe I will order 3.5" because its also very hard to find 5052 and 6061 here in SAudi arabia, the only available I think is 6063 and still looking at the market. thanks ausman I will try that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back