Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aluminum dome design

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanuarsaja

Mechanical
Jul 7, 2014
SG
Hi all.
As per subject, i dont have experience for aluminum dome roof design and the contractor propose to use it with construction cost and schedule benefits.
I knew the design is listed in appendix G.
What are considerations to use aluminum dome roof (advantage and dis. of it) since the tank will have design life up to 25 years.

Thank you.
Yanuar

Thank you,
Yanuar

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Aluminum domes are designed by the supplier.

Aluminum dome structures have some advantages compared to other alternate materials due to: corrosion resistance; low maintenance costs, capable of large clear spans, and fast construction.

Aluminum is inherently corrosion resistant. It will not need to be painted for protection from the atmosphere.

There is little to no maintenance costs associated with an aluminum dome

Alumunium Geodesic Dome roof tank is build on the ground (ground assembly) then lifted by the crane.

In my last project 46 M diameter Fire Water Tank will have about 18 ton weight of this alumunium roof tank.

Vacono Dome from Reinfelden (German) is one of the designer and supplier.

Hi all,
thank you for your advice. the proposal of Aluminum dome is for Remin water and for Potable water.
another proposal is for COndensate tank which has internal floating roof inside.

another problem to be considered is about bolt retightening during operation since as we know the construction of this dome mostly by bolting.

Thankyou
Yanuar

Thank you,
Yanuar

Good morning Yanuarsaja,

I installed internal floating roof (alumunium) for Dome roof tank in one of my project in 1990.

Reinfelden has a product they call "Vacono deck". It is alumunium deck with floater. This is the one I used.

Thanks bimr for giving the advantages of geodesic dome roofs. I also hear that there is good hydrocarbon emission control in using these roofs compared to welded steel roofs. I am requied to use this roof on a 40 M Dia tank to be used to store diesel. How can you achieve hydrocarbon emission control better than welded steel roof? What's your experience?
Thanks

I would not expect much difference between aluminum and steel covers for emission control. Both aluminum and steel covers should be gas tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back