Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Aluminum protection needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEBASTIANOFA

Automotive
May 13, 2019
IT
Hello everyone, I would like to ask the experts if anyone could explain to me the pitting and intergranural corrosion in aluminum, is it a type of corrosion that develops even without the use of the vehicle?
As a motorcycle and car collector I am always worried about the corrosion of the frames, I wondered if it was necessary to use cavity wax (as for steel) even in the aluminum frames since they are not protected inside. However, I read that if some parts are not protected or the protective cover is scratched, electrical potentials could be created that favor corrosion. Could someone explain to me better?
Assuming you have to protect an aluminum frame indefinitely, for as long as possible, what would be better to do? Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Aluminum protects itself. It's best to keep it bare and dry. Coatings and waxes can lead to crevice corrosion and are best avoided. If you must paint, start with a chromate conversion or silane based coating.

Clean and dry is the key.
Just make sure that there is no chance for condensation to form.
This often happens in unheated (and under heated) spaces.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Thanks for the info guys, i still have some questions please:
living for example near the sea, would the salty air not lead to a quick oxidation of the frame? Those who live near the sea usually tend to protect their vehicles with various grease and waxes and for steel the problem is solved, but what we can do with aluminum?
I mean, how long can bare aluminum last without some help?

If absurdly you were asked to keep an aluminum artifact to be handed down to posterity, what would be the best method of preserving it?

And for last a more simple question, since aluminum is very subject to low and high PH, how can I clean traces of tar or other contaminations without damaging it or triggering a corrosion process?
Does the tap water have no salts that are harmful to the aluminum inside?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back