Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aluminum to Steel Connection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

openam

Structural
Mar 3, 2004
US
I was wondering if anyone knows about connecting steel and aluminum. I want to rivet an aluminum shell to some steel studs. According to this post connecting aluminum and steel is a big No No. I'm thinking that it would be possible to put a rubber strip or something along the stud, but it would be preferred if we didn't have to do anything like that. If we have to install a separation between the steel stud and the aluminum shell, then how do we connect the two? It wouldn't be possible to use aluminum rivets if the two metals are not compatible. Any insight on this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is not correct to state that galvanic corrosion will not occur between carbon steel and aluminium alloys. This pairing definitely produces galvanic corrosion.

There is a possibility of corrosion (general and galvanic) for steel plated with zinc + chromate conversion coating in contact with aluminium alloys. The zinc coating is practically worthless in harsh environments.

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

CoryPad,

Thank you for the assistance.

However, how to relate your first answer with the Anodic Index rule of 0.15V or less for the galvanic corrosion to do not occur? Again, low allow steel - 0.85, aluminum - 0.90.

What coating is suitable for the marine environment?

Thank you, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back