Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

aluminum trailer hitch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Keep in mind that low carbon steels used for welded structures are often quite low in strength. A36 plate for example has a yield strength of 36ksi while 6061-T6 aluminum has a yield strength of 35ksi.

Tugboat is right. In addition to his comment - hitch inserts like this, when made from steel, are almost always made from 1/4" wall tube; aluminum ones are almost always made from solid bar.

If I cared enough about how my hitch adapter looked that I was willing to spend $300 for a polished aluminum one, I wouldn't be worried about strength.

That first link will sell you a hollow stainless steel version for only $69 dollars more.

I have my doubts about the durability of the weigh scale in the second link. It's gauge mechanism is going to be exposed to all the vibration and road shocks plus dirt, grime and salt.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

I also adhere to the first link, with the change of material to stainless steel.
In such a device, additional mechanisms must be made at the highest level. Wouldn't trust the second link.

Why would it expose you to lead, as noted in the ad?

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Why lead... I wouldn't think that would be part of steel or aluminum construction.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Different subject, But when we mount bikes on our bike rack, they obscure visibility of licence plates. On SUVs, the plates are usually up quite high these days s get blocked. In Europe, some have have plate holders built into the bike racks. Apparently they get a different plate for the bike rack. Much like our trailer plates.

Typical rack:
I had heard of cars being pulled over and ticketed because plates wee obscured. So, I added a holder on back of rack. Pain because I had to move plate back and forth. So only used it on long trips.

thanks...

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back