Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Am I looking for a "threaded insert"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrHoneydew

Industrial
Jan 26, 2007
US
Hello,

I am looking for something quite like a threaded insert, but threaded on both sides.
In other words, I could take this part and attach it the same way I would a nut and a bolt, but the end result would be a hole for a smaller bolt to fit inside.

Am I making myself clear at all? Does this sound like something you would still call a threaded insert? If not, what is it? Does anyone know a good supplier?

Thanks so much.

Cheers,
DHD

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well...a Helicoil is threaded on both sides (funky threads on the o.d., special taps required). Some plastic inserts and wood inserts are threaded on both sides (cutting threads on o.d.)...

Threaded pipe bushings are threaded on both sides...

I'm guessing you want something with machine (straight) threads on both sides, in a solid insert...

Keenserts have an o.d. thread, with knock-down locking "keys", similar products without keys but with threadlocking compound on them exist too. Both of which can be found by typing "threaded insert" into the search blank on

I think I am looking for something closer to a 'thread reducer'.

Want machine threading on both the inner and outer surfaces.

I'd saying something like 10-32 inner and whatever size the o.d. has to be to make that i.d. threading work.

Ideally, it would have a flange so it could be passed through a hole ( not tapped, straight ), and fastened with a standard nut on the opposite side. Then, I would end up threading an eye-bolt through into the internal threading on one side or the other.

DHD

Well,

That's the other part of the story.
I'll take a step back.

I am starting with 1/4" ABS.
My end goal is to have an eye-bolt ( say 10-32 ) protruding from the "top" side of the ABS. Whatever hardware is on the other side needs to be flush ( a slight flange is fine ).

The side with the eye-bolt needs to be "clean" looking. Just the loop of the eye-bolt, and possibly a nut to lock it down.

Was thinking a typical threaded insert, with knife-threads on the outside, would work. They don't seem to come in 1/4" length, however.

Any other ideas on how to make this work?

Thanks for all your responses.

DHD

What purpose does the 'thread reducer' serve?

What loads are involved?

Could you let the Eye-bolt ring pull up against an outer washer:
Eye-bolt
Washer
ABS (clearance hole)
Washer
Nut

[cheers]

The eye bolt serves to let another bolt pass through it's loop to attach to a piece of polycarbonate that rests on top of the ABS, attached at a 90 degree angle. I'm not sure how to quantify the loads. I'll have to think about it.

A washer would be fine, but the eye-bolt can't pass "through" the ABS. The opposite side has to be flush. The ABS rests on the floor, on the side opposite the eye-bolt loops.

500 pieces shouldn't be too expensive it is a reasonable run - to set up for 1 needs 3 /4 to be made to get the 1st one to how you want it therefore one-off's tend to be expensive but from there 500 is easy.

Yes, find someone with a nice old barstock fed repetition lathe. They should be 45c each (OK joke, but that is what I last paid for a more complicated but similar part).

If you want them cheaper have you thought about some sort of self tapping thread?

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back