Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Amada FO3015 Cutting Stainless with Plastic coating

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPosty

Mechanical
Mar 13, 2014
US
I was just asked if there is some code to use to make cutting plastic coated SS go smoother. I looked in books, but nothing is jumping out at me.

Bonus Question: Anyone use Glycol or synthetic chiller fluid in their Amada FO3015 system with a Fanuc C4000 Resonator? The Fanuc book recommends water with additives. Seems to me that Heat Transfer Fluids would be way better for a machine. We use Dowtherm SR-1 in our other machines. What are your choices and experiences with cooling systems?

"I am stuck on Band-Aid brand, 'cause they are stuck on me"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have some more info:

They think what they are looking for is some code that has the head come down and do a small pre-etch to move the plastic away before it actually pierces. Our Controller is a 160i, If this is documented somewhere, I would like to know where so I can see what other goodies I may find.

I apologize, I found the search button and found the answers on this thread:

The solution for those searching is changing Macro M103 to M134 which had the head come partially down and do a quick circle out of focus to melt the plastic away before it pierced. This worked beautifully. The other suggestion by LASERNINJA™ we did not try was altering Macro 912 gas delay to "0". we shall keep that in our utility belt for now.

still curious about heat transfer fluid options and opinions.

We have an Amada 2415 with Fanuc control. We cut primarily S/S and if you go into cut conditions click on pierce condition change type from 0 to 135.

On ours, that brings the nozzle to about 1" off material, quick shot and clears about 1/4" of the plastic. Then cut away.

If you have the option, you can use the B cut setting as well. if you combine it with M134 it will vaporize the plastic on the toop, then come down and make a very small hole after the pierce to use as a lead in point. i've had luck with this before when cutting thick SS or AL that has the film on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back