Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Amada pulsar roller dross

Status
Not open for further replies.

laschris

Industrial
Jan 22, 2010
US
Hello,
I am running an Amada pulsar (sheet slinger)and we just recently started a new titanium project.Question,has anybody experienced dross build up on the rollers of this machine cutting titanium with argon?Is there a type of releasing agent or any other solution to this problem,any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks, Chris

Chris Belding
Production Metal Forming

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My sugestion would be to spray some sort of welding anti-spatter agent on them before you start cutting. The problem is that titanium sparks cool so quickly and adhere to other metals.

This may sound kind of ackward but long ago when I worked at the jobshop level we used to coat the back of the titanium with milk of magnesia so the sparks would not adhere to the back of the sheet (or parts) because they were aerospace parts, maybe you should try putting a coat of milk of magnesia on the rollers which should wipe away easily with water once you're finished with the job.

The other option would be to get rid-off the rollers with a modification kit Amada used to sell for these machines although this avenue I fear would be too expensive.

Is your dust collection system working properly by the way?

Good luck and hope you achieve the results you're looking for.

msandoval,
Thanks for the info ,I will try these tips and let you know
how they worked,and yes our dust collection system is working properly.
Thanks, and have a good day!
Chris

Chris Belding
Production Metal Forming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back