Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Amboid -v- Hypoid Bevel Gears

Status
Not open for further replies.

1MarcoD

Automotive
Sep 25, 2008
IE
I'm looking for some terminology help here and my usual authorities (Dudley) don't have it.

My understanding is that:
An Amboid bevel is similar to a hypoid bevel (i.e., provides a bigger axle ratio than a spiral bevel but has a relatively larger pinion than a spiral and therefore better strength). The difference is that the amboid is cut so the pinion meshes above the centreline of the crownwheel, while the hypoid pinion meshes below the CL.

Is that the only difference or are there any peculiarities of the amboid that make it better/worse than a hypoid? Strength? Noise?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Interesting question. Since hypoid is the more frequently used terminology, perhaps you can search for "high pinion" vs. "low pinion" for information.

Do you have a good text or reference for Amboid and Hypoid Gear Design that I could read up on? Most of what I can find on the web is either lubrication info or people modifying passenger cars. We are interested in using amboid or hypoid designs for offroad trucks. At the moment we use spiral bevels but I'm interested in checking out alternatives.

I have Dudley's Gear Design Handbook and Practical Gear design but I'm interested with something with a bit more depth on hypoids/amboids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back