Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ambulance Design Grades

Status
Not open for further replies.

erikfinley

Civil/Environmental
Dec 19, 2003
US
Any good sources of design criteria (or suggestions) for grading a vehicular access for an ambulance at a medical center? I'm referring to the area where an ambulance would park while it unloads its patients and the manuvering area for the gurney. Maximum allowable grades?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would say use 2% maximum, which is an ADA requirement for accessible parking spaces and aisle cross-slopes. And flatter than 2% would be better if drainage is adequately addressed.

I would slope the drive at 3:1 toward the emergency room in order to convey the patient to the ER staff as quickly as possible. They've already been through a life threatening accident most likely. One more little thrill won't do them in.

Agree with CarlB, but proletariat's is much funnier. I needed a good laugh.

Engineering is the practice of the art of science - Steve

A couple of thoughts:

1. Pitching the parking area toward the ER Room door could cause water problems and should be thought out. Convey the water away while maintaining the ADA slopes.

2. Why not contact the amulance maker and ask them, they live with this day-in and day-out? They have all the dimensional specs on their vehicle and understand getting patients in and out on a gurney.

The ambulance unloading area is usually under a awning or shelter. 0.5% slope is the optimum under the roof and 1 -2% outside the shelter (sloping away from the entrance).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back