Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AMD vs Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plifter365

Mechanical
Aug 2, 2006
US
Hi all I'm building a new machine for work. And I need some oppinions. Here is what I've got so far:

2gb Ram
nVidia Quadro FX video (not sure what model)

I was looking at the AMD 64x2 processor but I've hear that the Intels have more bang for the buck. I know most CAD computers run the AMD's. I still run all 32bit software. What's your opinion? Intel or AMD?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to search this forum, because Machine specs have been posted here quite a bit. If you had read those threads, you would note 2GB is a minimum any more. I would get 4GB if you plan to stay with 32-bit.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Check recent reviews at Cadalyst.com to see what's performing best right now. I believe the Core 2 Duos are providing great performance now, but that AMD is also planning release of a new chip sometime soon. There's a bit of a price war right now, so chips are relatively cheap.

I'm running an AMD FX-60 and it does OK (almost 1.5 years old). Multiple cores won't buy you much in the normal operation of SolidWorks modeling, but does help if you run lots of other applications at the same time as SolidWorks or if you do renderings.

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe transcends reason.

I would be sure to look at the graphic cards that are approved for SW 2008. It looks like quite a few that were approved for earlier SW versions well not be approved for 2008.
I also use AMD and can't speak for how Intel's chips do.
I did not see a clear winner in the recent Benchmark thread that recently ran through this forum. (Although it did look like 64bit users were getting considerably better marks)
I think I would go multi-core or duel processors if you were going to use the machine for anything other then the base Solidworks package or do multi-tasking (email, excel, etc...).
Oh yeah, and 4GB and biggest monitor (or 2) your budget will allow.

kd1959
Solidworks 2007 SP3.1, PDMworks
4GB Ram,3GB switch
2x AMD Opteron 254,2x 19" Viewsonic
Quadro FX 3400

A nice benchmark site for processors and other hardware our IT guru sent to me. Looks like the Intel QX6700 is on top, but it’s 2x+ as much as the FX-74, although this FX-74 comes in the 1207 socket platform. Changing so quickly. Bought the FX-60 (939 pin) early 06 and it was on top in 05. Things change so fast.

kd1959,
You have me concerned. We upgraded our graphic cards to Nvidia Quadro FX1300, which is SW approved, shortly after we upgraded to SW2007. If I understand you correctly, you are saying that some previously approved cards will no longer be approved. Where can I find out which cards are no longer going to be approved? I did not see anything on the Solidworks web portal that mentions graphics cards for SW2008.

[peace]

Regards,
Dan Olid
SW2007 SP2.2
PDMW 2007 SP2.2
Cad Designer/PDMW Admin

OLID ... If you sign up for the SW2008 Beta program you will get to see a list of 2008 approved cards. Maybe the list will change once the card manufacturers update their drivers.

The FX1300 is listed under the following;
The following cards are still capable of supporting GPU shaders, but have real performance problems with self-shadows and long shader programs. Self-shadows have been disabled for these cards. They use the same shadow style as SolidWorks 2007.
The recommended driver is the 9136.

I am running an FX500 (in the same list) without problems ... so far.

[cheers]

CorBlimeyLimey,
Thanks for puttting me on the right path. I will look into signing up for SW2008 Beta program just to see the list. I don't think by boss here would be pleased with me if I quit doing my regular work to test the new version of SW.

Self-shadows and long shader programs?? Is that something new in SW2008?

[peace]

Regards,
Dan Olid
SW2007 SP2.2
PDMW 2007 SP2.2
Cad Designer/PDMW Admin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back