Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ammonium Nitrate storage facility- Air Change Rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

AirSolutions

Mechanical
Apr 14, 2010
Anyone work on ventilation design for this application?

Looking to substantiate a minimum 1 cfm/ft2 as per the uniform building code. My preference is a 4 ach to give it more ventilation.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I did a fertilizer storage building. My research led me to conclude that your state or provincial agricultural department will be the authority having jurisdiction setting the rates.

My building was unconditioned so I sized the prop fans to keep it within so many degrees of the ambient (in a year round cooling environment).

I would be more concerned about making sure there were no sparks etc. I ended up using cast aluminum prop fans, TEFC motors. Had the motor technically outside of the building, the wall sleeve for the side wall fans were flush with the interior of the external wall and the fan sleeve assembly extended out of the building.

An electrical receptacle for such a building probably costs $700

The departments of agriculture will be worried about such a building flooding and leaking chemicals to the water table as well. They also have rules depending on if it is storage space only or a space where they bag the chemicals or mix chemicals.

The way we build has a far greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ, than any HVAC system we install

NFPA will give you upper limits for concentrations in air and you can size ventilation given this information.

Likely local authorities will have further requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back