Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

$&% magazine sales calls 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HDS

Mechanical
Jul 25, 2002
US
I have gotten 4 calls from people asking for magazine subscriptions for someone that doesn't work here anymore and the day isn't even half over. This was a problem at the last I worked too. How bad is it for everyone else?

Can these calls really work? I'm so annoyed that I have canceled subscriptions for magazines they asked me to renew.

How can we stop this other than not answering the phone.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I get calls about electronic magazines, and no other. I don't work in electronics. They continue to convince me anyway why I should receive the free subscription while I hang up on them. Usually every 6 months.

Chris
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 08 3.1
AutoCAD 06/08
ctopher's home (updated Apr 30, 2008)

I actually got taken off someones list the other day. They called me about being on an email list for some camera/image recognition stuff. I explained I'd worked on a related project a couple of years ago but it wasn't really my thing and they removed me from the list (at least they said they would).

They didn't even hassle me for the name of someone in software or systems to transfer the subscription too - amazing.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

I usually just say, "Thank you but I am not interested, have a nice day." If they keep talking then I just hang up. I know it's their job to get the sale but I just cannot handle these calls.

Thank You
JSF SWISS

When I get cold-called, my unusual surname pronounced slowly and wrongly gives the game away immediately. "Is that Mr .....?" they ask. My reply is always "And you are?".

- Steve

Both the Republican and Demotratic National Commities have sent me requests for cash at the office. as neatly as I could I lettered their respective address's on a 10 inch heavy weight CMU (one CMU for each commity) adding the proper postal meter number from the prepaid return envelope. I then carefully wrapped each CMU and applied the prepaid envelope to them and left then by the post box. The US postal Service picked them up an hour later... No return address of course.

The best way to test something is to squeeze it, slowly, until it breaks!

One of the things I would do at home (if I did not have time to toy with them) is ask then go hold on a second, an put the phone by the TV where they can hear some drama going on.

I would leave it there until I would hear the loud BEEP BEEP BEEP after they have hung up.

BRGENG,

Genius.

Kevin

“It is a mathematical fact that fifty percent of all doctors graduate in the bottom half of their class." ~Author Unknown

"If two wrongs don't make a right, try three." ~Author Unknown

Lots of calls about the free technical magazines. I hate them. I rarely review any of them anymore. Even though I read alot, it's rare I read those anymore.

The summer after my freshman year in college I landed a job at a company (non-engineering company) in Washington as a "junior sales associate" and little did I know it ended up being a telemarketing job.

Worst job ever.

But we were legally required to remove you from our list if you ask. I would always honor that request and I knew very few people who wouldn't. You could always tell the people that had asked to be removed and weren't, and nobody likes talking to them anyways so there is no real reason for them not to remove you. My suggestion would be to simply say you are not interested and asked to be removed from their calling list like MadMango suggested. Of course some places have more than one list (we acutally had sheets of paper with phone numbers on them that we blacked out manually) so they might not catch every occurrence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back