Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Amperage drop on washer pump 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerg13

Mechanical
Aug 8, 2008
US
First off I am new and barley educated, so bear with me. I have a washer(for engine blocks, heads and so fourth)that I have been charged with maintaining. The washer was just installed when I arrived. It has a duplex pump system, 1 50hp, and a 20hp booster. The first three pm checks showed booster amps at 22ish (24.1, sf 1.25),last one 14-16. Manufactuer states that a loss of amps is due to blocked nozzle, or clogged suction. Suction good, 5/20 nozzles blocked. I deblocked them and now amps at 11-13. All thoughts are appriceated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like you still have a blockage somewhere. The other possibility that comes to mind is that there is a problem with the impellor. If the impellor is damaged and not pumping as much water that could account for a drop in amps.

I am pumping H20 with a powdered SaHCl additive (200lbs per 300gal). The resivior is internal, and operated at 180-200 degrees.

I can think of four ways:

1) If you have a suction lift and a bad seal, you can suck air through the seal.

2) Vortexing in the reservoir.

3) Air entrainment in the reservoir due to poorly placed return lines.

4) Broken suction line.

But with the temperature I am leaning towards Artisi's suggestion. I know someone mentioned impeller but is this definitely a centrifugal pump and not a piston pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back