Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AMS 2750E System Accuracy Test (SAT) Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

QAJA1717

Mechanical
Apr 13, 2017
US
Hello All,

I'm seeking clarification on AMS 2750E's SAT frequency requirement (Section 3.4.3 and Table 6 - Parts Furnace Class).

This table indicates that a normal SAT interval, let's say for a class 3 - Type B furnace, is monthly.

What is the industry accepted interpretation of this frequency? One might say that "Monthly" is to be interpreted as a 30-day interval. Another might say that this is interpreted as month-to-month, i.e. if a SAT is performed on the first, the next due date can be pushed to end of the following month.

Your responses will be greatly appreciated.

-J

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I was just recently in an eQualearn class hosted by PRI where the instructor mentioned this topic. He said that there was an official interpretation put out somewhere but I can't remember for the life of me where it is. I'll have to dig into eAuditnet and the documents there and see if I can get back to you.

I believe the interpretation was that weekly means no more than 7 days between tests and monthly was 30 days. Then bi-monthly and longer intervals were the same date as the previous test of the correct month. I'll see if I can find the official interpretation document though.

Update: So far, all that I've been able to find on the eAuditnet website is a fairly informal Q&A document from 2010 that appears to be referencing AMS 2750D. in it, there is a question that reads "Please define Testing/Calibration intervals/frequency. Such as: weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annually. Could definitions of interval frequencies be included in Rev E of 2750?" The answer provided is "Table 10 gives enough allowance that these definitions would not be beneficial." This document can be found under Documents -> Public Documents -> Heat Treating -> Reference Information -> Question and Answer Session October 2010. This seems to directly contradict my recent class but it's the only official documentation that I've found so far.

Aidan McAllister
Metallurgical Engineer

2.2.25 INTERVAL: The calendar time between 2 tests or calibrations. Examples include: week or weekly requires the due date is the same day in the following week – a span of 7 calendar days; month or monthly to indicate the next test occurs on the same numerical day in the following month. If the monthly test is performed on the 31st day of a month followed by a month with 30 days, the due date is the last day of the following month (similar for tests on January 29-31 – the due date is the last day of the following month. Same definitions apply to the bi-weekly, quarterly, semiannual and annual intervals.

Thank you both for your responses! @Dalinus you've hit the target. The language is quite explicit under that section.

Again, thank you both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back