Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AMSE VIII Div1 304 L Impact testing UHA-51(c)

Status
Not open for further replies.

abehong

Mechanical
Dec 3, 2012
US
I need some help to clarify what is thermal treatment defined as per UHA-51 ( c ). Some SS material exempt as per UHA-51 ( d ) is not acceptable any more when thermal treatments is performed . I am wondering if PWHT or hot formed head is considered as thermal treatment.

UHA-51(d) Exemptions from Impact Testing for Base Metals and Heat Affected Zones. Impact testing is not required for Table UHA-23 base metals for the following
combinations of base metals and heat affected zones (if welded) and MDMTs, except as modified in UHA-51(c):
UHA-51(c) Required Impact Testing When Thermal Treatments Are Performed. Impact tests are required at the colder of 70°F (20°C) or the MDMT, whenever thermal
treatments1 within the temperature ranges listed for the following materials are applied:

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Thermal Treatment" is defined in footnote 1 at the bottom of the page containing the UHA-51 main heading (p. 212) in my copy. Excluded is heating to below 600°F, thermal cutting, and welding. I would interpret that, per UHA-51(c) PWHT or hot forming at above 900°F would most certainly be subject to the restrictions of UHA-51(c).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back