AMSE VIII vs. U Stamped Vessels

Status
Not open for further replies.

longeron

Mechanical
Nov 11, 2002
US
Gents,

I'm quite new to pressure vessel codes, I usually deal with a specialized pump part. Vessels are used as part of a support system to keep the part I'm familiar with cool and clean while in service. I hear my customers talk about requirements for a U stamped vessel when the internal diameter of the vessel is greater than or equal to 6". I've dealt with that before when working for a company with a division that manufactured of vessels who could provide a U-stamp. I now work for another company who provides vessels built to meet both AMSE VIII Division 1 and TUV/PED 97/23EC standards. I'm interested in the differences between vessels built to AMSE VII Div 1 and those with U-stamp. For all I know it may really be a matter of keeping paperwork on file.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

longeron, since the U-stamp is specific to, and only to, Sec VIII (eight), Div 1, then generally speaking Sec VIII, Div 1 vessels ARE U-stamped vessels. A vessel outside the scope of Sec VIII, Div 1 may be designed and built to, but need not be stamped. A vessel MAY NOT be U-stamped unless it is designed and built to Sec VIII, Div 1.

Whether a given type vessel must be designed and built to a recognized Code is usually dictated by the requirements of the jurisdiction in which it will be installed.

Regards,

Mike

Another potential difference. Anyone can "build" a vessel using the rules of ASME Section VIII, Div 1 but only companies certified (don't know if that is the right word) by ASME itself can build U-stamped vessels.

JR97

Please bear in mind that for vessels in e.g. the EU, a lot of vessels that are designed to ASME VIII-1, arent stamped. What's required in most EU countires is (usually) PED 97/23/EC.
U-stamping is really an American/Canadian thing (some other countries also accept it for acceptance under their jurisdiction).
Since some forummers are European, or not American so to say, they may get the wrong idea from posts based on thoughts from people on the Northern-American continent (with all due respect).

In the end, it all depends on where your vessel is going to be operated, whether or not ASME-stamping is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back