Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Amtrak derailment in Montana

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't say, nor do I expect, the Final Report was "done". THIS is a preliminary report, done a month-in.

Because I have an interest in railroads, I have followed an assortment of crashes that the NTSB has investigated.

NTSB typically shows up in about a day, and has a news conference. They might have a couple more during the first few days. They typically release a preliminary report about a month later, which will include results up to that time. Then they leave, and take a year or more for the final report.

I said, or meant to say, that it appears that they found nothing in a month, based on their released statement. I find that hard to believe. That COULD mean that what they found is not at all useful for resolving what happened, and why. Odd, but I suppose it could happen.

If so, and they conclude their on-site investigation, that may well lead to an "I dunno" a year or two hence. Or maybe they have lots and lots of physical testing to perform.

But. I do wonder at releasing a month-in report that says next to nothing new.

spsalso

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back