Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AN ARC FLASH PROTECTION 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

11basonia

Electrical
May 28, 2007
ZA
Can someone help with the formulas to calculate the following:
1. arc current
2. incident energy and
3. flash protection boundary

the system fault level is 16KA @ 11kv

Regars,

Basonia

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Okay, got the numbers:

If equipment is a switchgear with 25 mm gap, working distance is at 18 inches, and 4 cycles (0.066 sec) total interrupting time of breaker or fuse:
Predicted arcing current = 15.41 kA
Incident energy exposure = 1.77 cal/cm2
Flash protection boundary = 28 inches
PPE level cat = 1
Please verify calcs as I made it quick.

In an ARCING CURRENT CALCULATIONS THERE IS A FORMULA USED TO MANUALLY CALCULATE ARCING CURRENT WHEN GIVEN BOLTED CURRENT,CABLE GAP, ETC.THE FORMULA IS :

IgIa= 0.00402+0.983*IgIbf

1.What is Ig in this formula and what is the simplified formula to calculate Ia ( arcing current)?
I have been trying to calculate arcing current using this formula above and comparing the answer with the one in calculator but, could not find the same answers.I think, perhaps am missing something in the formula, Can some clearify the formula?
Regards, BASONIA

Just be careful using internet software. I'm not saying it doesn't work (I'm sure 99% work just fine), but most "successful" companies will have quality procedures in place that verifies software reliability. I don't like it, but I have to prove (by hand calculation sanity check), that any softare I use produces reliable results. If you or your compnay can be held responsible for the accuracy of the results. Be sure you have cya.

Yep, we are starting to see companies specicify what software is used for an arc flash study. Usually they require SKM or ETAP. No internet software is allowed to perform the studies. Again I agree with Senslesssticker (Love that name BTW) they probally work OK but CYA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back