Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

An electric utility microwave site hut. Regulatory hole?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenal

Electrical
Aug 20, 2001
US
The NEC excludes equipment under the exclusive control of electric utilities used for communication.
The NESC speaks of overhead and underground communication line installation, but I fail to see mention of any installation requirement for the indoor equipment installation at a microwave site. Is there a standard covering this? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How would that space be different than the space used for communications terminal equipment for fiber lines?

When one this sentence into the German to translate wanted, would one the fact exploit, that the word order and the punctuation already with the German conventions agree.

-- Douglas Hofstadter, Jan 1982

David,

Some of the equipment will be the same or similar I believe. I don't believe NESC would cover any type of communication equipment outside of a substation.

Then what would apply at a fiber regen station in the middle of nowhere? I don't know a definitive answer, but I doubt that "microwave" matters.

When one this sentence into the German to translate wanted, would one the fact exploit, that the word order and the punctuation already with the German conventions agree.

-- Douglas Hofstadter, Jan 1982

Okay, the question is expanded: What, if any, code applies to electric service to ground level communication facilities under the exclusive control of an electric utility on land owned or leased by that utility, and not part of an electric substation? Good engineering practice might be to look at codes not in scope for guidance, but is there one in scope?

Judging by telephone exchange buildings, I suggest that the building proper will be subject to all normal codes regardless of the intended use of the building.
Once the building is completed, the utility may install whatever they need to serve their needs.
This approach may not be documented in regulations but it will be a good 'Cover Your ASSets' approach.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back