An interesting opportunity 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximusprime

Mechanical
Feb 1, 2012
US
Hey All,
I have had an interesting opportunity pop up and I was hoping to get some opinions form some of the career veterans out there. It's a long post but bear with me :)

I worked in Dubai doing MEP when I was fresh out of college. When the bottom dropped out of the market, I moved home to the USA and did whatever work I could find before settling into a comfy job designing HVAC and Plumbing for healthcare buildings. I am very close to getting a PE and though the pay is somewhat substandard, I do work on the side to make up for it and I am not hurting. It's a solid job in a solid market sector, and I enjoy it for the most part.

My friends in Dubai have started a company and they are making huge amounts of money. They are practically begging me to come back and work with them and offering a pretty amazing salary to go with it (over twice what I am making now and mostly tax free). It is more project management and less design, which I like also. The problem is I just bought a house, and will probably get married in the next couple of years and I really am just not interested in moving to the middle east again. I am also worried about only being 6 years out of school and having 4 employers already on my resume.

So here's what we are thinking about: Asking my current employer for a 3-6 month sabbatical, allowing me to go over there and manage one of their projects while learning some very valuable BIM skills, pioneering methods that haven't been tried before, and coming back to my old job. This would keep my resume consistent, and also make me a more valuable asset to my current firm. I could do this every year or two. It is pretty unorthodox though and I think my boss would need convincing.

What do you guys think?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think he (current employer) will probably say NO if he really likes your work and YES if he doesn't really care about you and replaces you as soon as your foot gets of the ground.

Just an opinion...

I guess I should mention that there is a real possibility that I could get the company in Dubai to send overflow work back to my company in the US.

Getting replaced is what I am afraid of. It's big money over there but I don't want it to be permanent.

Maybe take it, have your girlfriend (fiance?) live in your house, pay for her travel to see you, save your money to pay off the house, have a nice savings when you move back and get married. Finances set, house paid for, lovely wife, middle east experience. You'll find another job.

Chris
SolidWorks 11
ctopher's home
SolidWorks Legion

It's big money over there but I don't want it to be permanent
Only death is permanent. Jobs exist all over the world.

You won't know till you ask your current employer. What do you have to lose? You have a job lined up if they throw a tantrum and fire you, and if he agrees to your suggestion, you have the best of both worlds. Lay it on thick about the potential for work/contracts coming their way.

ctopher gave some excellent suggestions. If I were young, 'single' & without children, I would jump at the chance. Although not in the same league as you, I was married with 3 young kids (youngest just over 5 months) when given the opportunity to emigrate to Canada.

What about having your current company contract you out to the company in the ME? That way they get a cut, weather they get any overflow work or not?

Nvidia Quatro FX 1400
8.0 GB RAM
AMD Phenom 9850 Quad core @ 2.50Ghz
SW2010 SP4.0
Win 7 64bit

and I really am just not interested in moving to the middle east again

Hmmmmmmm.

Life's full of choices...Robert Frost & the road less taken and all that. Enticing possibilities are presented. You must do an honest assessment of your own life goals, potential of your various choices, and your tolerance (and ability for recovery) for making poor ones. It's always a thrill to be desired, and it sounds like an exciting and possibly lucrative engagement. Be certain what you hear aren't Siren's songs or you're likely to wash up on the rocks.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

Thanks guys. You have confirmed what I have been thinking. Going to give it a shot and dangle the "potential business" carrot to help my chances.

I guess it is just a big decision as the last time I went over there the economy got ugly and moving back in 2009 with no job meant 2 years of searching (I literally walked into one place with a resume in hand as people were walking out with their belongings). I am enjoying my job stability and I don't want to mess that up.

mjake1966 said:
What about having your current company contract you out to the company in the ME? That way they get a cut, weather they get any overflow work or not?

That's a good idea! I hadn't thought of that.

Maximus-
I think your best option is to definitely get out there and take the chance.
I would kill for an opportunity like that, and am looking for one right now actually. As others have said, there will always be more jobs and you, while having several different jobs in the past few years, will bring to the bargaining table in the future tons of skills and a well rounded background in design and leadership.
Granted, I am probably pretty close to your age so I don't have the "Experience" to say shoulda woulda, but I can say that I would take it in a heartbeat...

Good luck!

Is this possibly work you could do from home in the evenings? I can't imagine your current employer going for this, unless you are an irreplaceable superstar. Like has been said, no job is permanent, and you could always look for another if your current employer replaces you, but the job market is tight these days.

Just make sure that what you're paying for is a house to live in when you get back, not a love bungalow for your fiance and her local lover ;-)

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

MacGyverS2000 said:
Just make sure that what you're paying for is a house to live in when you get back, not a love bungalow for your fiance and her local lover winky smile

Uh oh! Sound's like Mac's speaking from experience! [bigears]

just beware, the grass isnt always greener on the other side. if there's any chance your daliances in Dubai could jeopardise the stability of your job bk home then be extremely cautious. Ive been in Qatar for 4 years watching the industry in Dubai plummet through the floor, i'm not convinced that anyone is making huge amounts of money out there right now. apart from the hotels and nightclubs that is ;)

charnott said:
just beware, the grass isnt always greener on the other side. if there's any chance your daliances in Dubai could jeopardise the stability of your job bk home then be extremely cautious. Ive been in Qatar for 4 years watching the industry in Dubai plummet through the floor, i'm not convinced that anyone is making huge amounts of money out there right now. apart from the hotels and nightclubs that is ;)

True. I was there from 2007 when it was really booming to 2009 when the bottom dropped out.

These guys are doing BIM consulting for projects that are already under construction as a means to reduce costs associated with change orders and RFI's. They have several projects already. They are making good money in the sense that they are a small company and the big checks they are getting is affording good salaries and steady growth, but in comparison to the money that the big boys made/aremaking it is not huge money per se. A lot of the work is in Abu Dhabi, and a new one in Salalah, Oman. They also are setting up an office in Qatar. It is a very specific niche that they fill and they have done a good job of finding the right clients.

I hear you though. The more I think about it, the more enticed I am by the excitement. Job security is nice but man, it can be boring sometimes.

as someone who's played it relatively safe i couldnt agree more with your last sentence. however the little man on my other shoulder is always saying 'and just how are you gonna pay your mortgage when you lsoe both jobs'!!

all the best with whatever road you go down, only you can decide whats best for you. good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back