Analog Switchboard Meters - ANSI C39.1 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Distribution73

Electrical
Mar 18, 2015
ES
Hi,
I am trying to replace an old analog voltmeter installed in a synch panel. The reason for doing so is that the ratio of the VT connected to this device has changed. I would like to replace it by another one as similar as possible to the original.
Going through different catalogs of analog meter manufacturers, I have found references to "AB-14" & "AB-40" meter types which appear to refer to analog meter classes described in ANSI C39.1 (I could be wrong though). Anyone could let me know what are the differences between AB-14 and AB-40 meters? Any reference on the internet with info on this subject?
I upload a picture of the voltmeter I am replacing. It is the 0-15kV on the bottom left.
Thank you very much in advance for your help.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=92830bb9-2e3e-4a55-be3b-d663d2b6df49&file=Analog_Voltmeter.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So my recollection is the the DB-40 (originally by GE) is the standard taut-band switchboard meter. The DB-14, I think, was a model rated for use in a high-vibration environment - perhaps a Mil-spec.

We specified hundreds of AB-40s, never an AB-14. As you may know, GE sold this product line to Yogogawa many years ago, and now Yogogawa no longer makes them. Crompton may still make a look-alike. Weschler still makes a clone of the old Westinghouse style of panel meter the last time I checked.

The old AB-40 meters were wonderfully durable, in my experience. You might check for old-stock Yogogawa or even used on e-bay. Bear in mind that you'll have a PT input of maybe 120 V and the scale must match what you have. The dials were hand marked based on actual test voltage or current, so each one is kind of a one-off. If it looks like a GE meter, I'd check with Crompton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back