Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

analysis of submerged flat plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

frostrobn

Mechanical
Dec 6, 2002
US
I'm looking for a little help in determining the proper bending equation to use in the analysis of 1/2" plate welded out around it's perimeter to a structural frame. The frame is submerged and is used to isolate a gate on a hydroelectric dam for maintenance. I was able to analyze the structural members, but what about the plate? Fixed-fixed ends using the longest dimension for (l) is way too conservative.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Miecz, I understand that the coeff. is unitless. So p is (psi) and a is (in)? You said the moment in my case is 1.90 k'/ft. Do you mean 1.90 kip-ft? I'm tripping up on the units in the formula on Figure 34, Moment = Coeff. x (p x a^2). What are the units for Moment, p, and a? I know this sounds really fundemental, but I was taught to always question the units, especially with new formulas.

Once I am satisfied with the stiffeners, I just want to be able to show that I concidered what the peak stress is in the plate between the stiffeners. Yes, stiffeners are more efficient (in terms of material used). Consideration #2, cost and time to fabricate $$$$. Stiffeners take more time in the shop to fabricate.

I just want to make sure I am applying the correct formulas for the analysis of a plate under a UDL with its edges supported or even fixed. I know the DL is actually decreasing with the decrease in submerged depth, which I will account for in higher sections of the panel I am designing.

Thanks.

frostrobn-

By 1.90 k'/ft, I meant 1.90 kip-ft per foot. (It could also have been 1.90 kip-inch per inch.) That is, there is 1.90 k-ft of bending moment for each foot of support length. For 1.90 k'/ft, when you calculate your section modulus, "b" is one foot. For 1.90 k-in/in, "b" would be one inch.

p = pressure in psi, or MPa
a = length in in, or mm

resulting in moment in lbs*in or N*mm

consistent units yield intelligent results !

if you're trying to minimise weight and build costs and all those good things, sharpen your pencil and use the tapered pressure distribution.

OK. How about the units used for p and a? in, psi, ???? Are you telling me that the equation from Figure 34 is spitting out kip-ft/ft?

Sorry, rb1957, you posted as I was writing my last post. I think I'm all set now. I will go after the tapered loading and try to optimize the stiffener use to meet all the objectives. Thank you sincerely for you patience and help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back