Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Analysis of Supplemental Agreements/Work Orders/Time Extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed4151

Civil/Environmental
Nov 13, 2002
US
Has anyone performed an analysis of project Supplemental Agreements, Work Orders or Time Extensions? I am entering the data on Excel worksheets for each project (Florida Dept. of Tansportation), with an eye to performing analyses on all of the above.

We are spending too much money and time for plan error and ommission based claims,and are hoping to identify the root causes for preventable claims.

Can anyone suggest approaches that will help us avoid the reinvention of the wheel?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

sounds good, but I'm not sure this will work well with a spreadsheet. sounds like you will need to evaluate each one, read the documentation, talk to the inspectors, construction managers and resident engineers. see if you can come up with a recurrent theme (or contractor)

I can probably list several of the root causes for your consideration:

1) contractor missed something in the bid

2) changed conditions (maybe unforseen by engineer and/or contractor)

3) engineer made an error or omission in the design caused by:
a - lack of experience
b - lack of talent/brains
c - lack of compensation
d - too busy to spend the time
e - human error

4) owner's contract poorly written

5) weather

6) contractor had difficulty with one of the following:
a - labor shortage
b - equipment problems
c - sickness
d - unable to hire or retain personnel

7) Murphy's Law...

Thanks!

We are aware of these points.

We are looking more for the actual mechanics of effecting a viable analysis. As well, we (first timers) assume that there are more in-depth solution tracks to follow than the simplistic ones that come to mind. But, maybe we're attempting to make more of the study than it deserves.

Thanks again!

Ed4151

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back