Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Analyzing U-Bolt Connection to Timber Pile

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgeng

Structural
May 23, 2009
US
I want to see if I could use a large U-bolt to attach some diagonal bracing to a timber pile to reduce cost of underwater construction. The diagonal brace could deliver both tension and compressive forces. The way I see it the horizontal componenet of the tension or compression force will result in bearing of bolt on timber or wood to wood bearing of brace to pile. The lateral component of the force I think would be more of a factor of friction of the bolt on the pile unless you consider the u-bolts rack a little and now your back to bearing. My gut tells me the connection would have enough capacity but I want to quantify in it in some rational method...any thoughts or help appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I really dont see it working under shear loads. This type of detail may work under a more robust material such as steel but timber has very little bearing capacity - a property that is relied upon to stop the u-bolt from rotating.

I am thinking you are relying on wood to wood friction mainly. I suppose you could use the U-bolt to "crush" the wood parts together. But again it is still more or less a friction joint.

I don't think that is a good idea - esp under water where the water will act like a lubricant.

All timber piles that we worked on during federally funded highway projects had cross braces bolted to the piles,however, all these connections were above the water line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back