Anchor Chair Repad-API 650 tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shahin71

Chemical
May 14, 2002
AE

Hello Everyone

I wonder if any one can advise a reference to help in sizing the repad at anchor chair. Repad sizing is required by a third party inspector. Repad was selected due to high stress at shell caused by anchor chairs.>25,000 psi.

Best Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Consider using higher chairs, wider chairs, smaller eccentricity, or thickening first ring shell plate as alternatives.

As an approximation, treat the repad as an anchor chair of equivalent height and width.

Thank you JStephen

Is there any document or standard to be used in repad sizing , as this sizing is required by third party inspector and approximation won't work. I know ASME VIII Div II has these calculations for pressure vessels.

Best Regards

I think you'll find that any kind of nozzle or attachment analysis is an approximation.

The approach typically used is listed as a reference in API-650, I believe- books put out by AISI.

Repads are not typically used for anchor chairs. Normally the lower shell course is thickened to handle the local stresses at the anchor chair. Alternatively, the anchor chair size (height and width) is increased to lower the stress to accepatble levels.

Joe Tank

Adding a repad around the anchor chair is an economic alternative to increasing the fisrt shell ring size. I have a tank in which the fisrt shell ring is 1/4" thick. If I were to increas it's thickness to comply with the 25,000 psi requiremeent, I would need to increase it to 5/8".

Jorge L. Ramos, Jr., MSCE, PE
Alonso & Carus Iron Works, Inc. (Euro-American Steel Co., Inc. (

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back