Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anchor rod thread length 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cb1331

Structural
Jan 26, 2010
CA
Hi everyone. We have run into a problem on a job site. The contractor set the anchor bolts too far into the pier that there is not enough thread on the rod to fully adhere the bolt. I remember seeing a system (I though was Hilti) that can accommodate this site discrepancy.

Any thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depending on the situation you could weld the nut to the bolt if you are getting partial but not full engagement of the nut.

This is dependent on a few things, shear or tension or both on the bolt, how much partial engagement are you getting, is the anchor bolt of weldable material, to name a few.

I recently sat in on an ASCE seminar which showed an example of calculating the pull-out strength of an anchor with a partially threaded nut. Check out "Fastener Design Manual" by Richard T. Barrett if you are able. I can dig up the slides showing the example if you'd like.

From AISC's 'Field Fixes' document dated 2006 by Fisher and Kloiber:

Pages_from_AISC_-_FIELD_FIXES_Page_1_mlg8oa.png

Pages_from_AISC_-_FIELD_FIXES_Page_2_hgd9bu.png

Pages_from_AISC_-_FIELD_FIXES_Page_3_ejms13.png

What you need is the Elocone nut by CANAM Steel. This is an elongated nut specially made for this very purpose. They fit anchor rod diameters ranging from 3/4" to 2 1/2". Google "Elocone Nuts".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back