Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Anchors to Existing Masonry

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewbieStruct

Structural
May 31, 2011
US
On one of our jobs, we had called out epoxy anchors into existing masonry. The contractor went ahead and used expansion anchors instead. The loads are very small, about 100# at each anchor. It is a short open corridor canopy w/ existing masonry on either side.

Do expansion anchors work in masonry/CMU?

The connection is on the face of masonry.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depends on the anchor. Need to get the manufacturer and model. If it doesn't work don't hesitate to make them change them out for the correct anchors.

If they are installed into grouted cells, yes they do. However, Hilti limits installation of expansion anchors to 1 per cell. See Hilti catalog, section 4.3.5 (p. 344 in 2008 edition)

Thank you guys.

I was looking at the Hilti Anchor Selection Guide (pages 52-56) in 2011 catalog and it seems expansion anchors cannot be used in masonry. I just trying to be sure.

ron has it right.

Most are not acceptable - even into brick.

You can only use ones that have been tested for the specific application.

I thought Hilti or Powers had a couple that could be used....but their tension loads are relatively low.

Check carefully..

I'm almost positive that at least the Hilti Kwick bolt III can be used in grouted masonry. I don't have the product manual with me though.

EIT

I would never use an expansion anchor in the top of a concrete or masonry wall, or within a foot of the end of a concrete or masonry wall, or an opening in the wall. There is just too much danger of spalling, with subsequent anchor failure. You need a certain amount of confining concrete around the anchor for it to work properly.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

The OP said the anchor was on the face of the masonry, and the load is only 100 pounds. There are lots of mechanical anchors which will work in that case.

Loads are relatively small... and almost any reasonably installed anchor will work... Tapcons included. As noted, check with the manufacturer.

Dik

Not sure of the canopy configuration, but 100 lbs. seems low. You at least have a 90 mph wind load anywhere in the US (assuming you are in the US). Nevertheless, as others have noted, there are plenty of anchors that will work.

FYI: As msquared48 alluded to, the method of obtaining the hole for the anchor is critical; hammerdrills will cause spalling on the inside face of ungrouted CMU cells that will not be evident.

engphila

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back